Ask Yusry Anything!
Liked what you read? Please subscribe for more technical updates, so you won't miss any nice tips or tricks I have to share with you. =)

Subscribe in a reader

March 16, 2008

Jailbreak iPod Touch 1.1.3 using ZiPhone 2.6b

Decided to play with my iPod Touch, and try the latest ZiPhone 2.6b (latest, as of date of this post), and jailbreak into 1.1.3.

DESPITE the fair warning (see image) inside ZiPhone, I did my best to jailbreak 1.1.3 instead. (Look under the "Important" message)



And what do you know? I successfully jailbroken into 1.1.3 using ZiPhone 2.6b!

Here's my method:

Part 1: Getting into DFU (for upgrading/downgrading to FW 1.1.3)

Step 1: Connect your iPod Touch with the ORIGINAL USB dock connector.

Step 2: Launch iTunes (if it's not launched yet) Oh by the way, I'm using iTunes 7.5 if you want to know.

Step 3: Make my device into DFU mode. I pressed both the Home and Standby button until the iPod restarts (ignoring the "slide to turn off" slider). I looked at iTunes, my device is gone. I listened to my computer, there's a "disconnected" sound. Now I released my Standby button.

Step 4: This is a little tricky. I waited for a "connected" sound (those sound you normally hear when connecting a USB device). That's when I release my Home button. My iPod Touch's screen is now PITCH BLACK. =) (DFU Mode success!)

Step 5: iTunes now says that I need to restore (refer to image below), so I restored into a downloaded iPod 1.1.3 Restore firmware. Using the "shift-restore" trick, I selected my firmware (iPod 1.1.3 Restore) from the list.













Step 6: I had to go make myself a cup of coffee while waiting! =) Looks like it's done. I will wait like the prompt box says.



Step 7: Set up my iPod as a new device and hit "Continue", then uncheck all options (regarding syncing), and I'm done with iTunes. Close it.




Part 2: Now the ZiPhone's part


Step 1: Click on the "iPod Touch" button



Step 2: Wait 2 mins! (Or should I say, 45 secs?) And that's all! Once all is done, your iPod Touch will restart, and it will be jailbroken.


Part 3: Now to complete the whole process


Since iphonebrowser won't work until you've installed a patch, here's what you'll need to do.

Step 1: Launch Installer app (it's everybody's favourite app!)

Step 2: Add a new source (Sources -> Edit -> Add)

Step 3: Add this source http://i.unlock.no

Step 4: Look for ZiPhone iBrickr fix

Step 5: Now you're really done!


Part 4: Now gimme wiggly icons + iPhone apps!


Seems like you want everything in one go! Alright, here goes!

Step 1: Launch Installer app

Step 2: Add a new source (Source -> Edit -> Add)

Step 3: Add this source http://www.spaziocellulare.com/ispazio.xml

Step 4: Look for iSpazio Unlock Tools. Enjoy!


Part 5: What part 5? Go and download all your apps!

Hehe. There's no part 5!

But if you have questions, feel free to ask me. This worked for me, so it should for you too.

Cheers!


My keyboard crashes after doing this jailbreak!

I experienced that too, hence I'm going to tell you how I fixed it.

First, you'll need to get out of the "freezing" state. Hold both the Standby and Home button, until the device restarts. When an Apple logo appear, release all buttons, and wait approximately 1 minute before you get back to your home screen.

Then you'll need to restore to 1.1.3 again. There's no real magic or "fix" out there. This crash is random, and it just happened on mine (after I jailbreak it 3 times, because I messed up).

So if you're getting the crash, I strongly suggest you do this jailbreak again. (read from the top of this post).

After you've done the jailbreak part, do not launch Installer app yet. Instead, go to "Contact" app, type a few gibberish, then exit of of the program. I'm not sure what or why, but this has worked for me.

No comments:

Yusry is a technology freak, he plays a lot with his iPod Touch since day 1. He is also into programming and gets excited trying out new softwares. He is also a member of a local Singaporean band named Dermapthera. You can read his other blog at http://dermapthera.wordpress.com
Visit BEING FIVE Copyright by George Sfarnas www.beingfive.com